Singing Sands Beach

Singing Sands Beach
Long Island, Maine

Monday, August 20, 2012

Long Island, Maine Spiders: A Local Study

Last summer I started taking notes about and drawing the spiders I found on our property on Long Island, Casco Bay, Maine. While spiders may spread themselves on the wind, or by having their eggs attached to things that end up elsewhere, they obviously don't fly, so their mobility to other environments is by chance and haphazard.

Sometimes I ended up drawing and or studying other insects/bugs that were right there, in my way, and I just wanted to know about them. One of the most direct ways of knowing anything is to observe, takes notes, draw.




3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, this is the poem that will be paired with your drawing at the Ekphrasis exhibit in April:

    A PAGE OF SPIDERS

    The spiders seem to want to crawl away,
    Out of the drawing with its printed notes
    Onto my desk top where, perhaps, there’s prey

    For them to draw into a net that floats.
    But I am building this fleeting cage of letters
    Out of the drawing with its printed notes --

    I have no wish to be the prey in fetters,
    Although I have no other choice, of course,
    Except to build this floating cage of letters

    To fend the spiders off until remorse
    For the misprisions of my days is lost
    In spinning filaments without recourse.

    The price for living – an atrocious cost,
    A page of debts that cannot be repaid,
    For the misprisions of our days are lost

    In filaments of time gone retrograde.
    The spiders seem to want to crawl away --
    A page of debts that cannot be repaid --
    Onto my desk top where, of course, they’ll prey.

    Lewis Turco (lewturco@roadrunner.com)
    Dresden, Maine 04342

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved your poem. As a former "poet" I do get what you are doing. And you've done it. So grateful. We are all so proud of those who work so hard. Best, E

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so gorgeous... I couldn't be more grateful. Go eat a lot of pumpkin pies... feed yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Have you ever visited Casco Bay?